Friday, July 15, 2011

Clean

While living in Honduras, I taught at two different schools, and each school had its own well. Whereas in most places, we were warned to not drink or even brush our teeth with water from the faucet, this water was pure because of its source. So I drank it. And I got sick. I learned that even though the water was clean, the holding tanks were not. I knew God was trying to show me something by way of analogy, about being a clean vessel, but it took some time for me to fully understand.

This is what I realized: Jesus said that He would give us living water that would become a spring within us, welling up to eternal life (John 4). This water is the Holy Spirit, and we are the vessels that dispense the water to our surroundings. The water is pure and life-giving, but if we are a dirty vessel, we will produce undesired effects.

How do we become clean? It's what happened when we gave our lives to Him in response to His sacrifice on the cross: "He gave his life to free us from every kind of sin, to cleanse us, and to make us his very own people, totally committed to doing good deeds" (Titus 2:14).

We become dirty by negating the work of the cross that cleansed us.

One way we do this is through our words. God is Creator, and when He speaks, He creates - "And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light." We were made in His image, so our words also create - they create our atmosphere and establish our limit. When you say that things never go your way, predict a bad ending, or belittle yourself, your words have more power than you realize. "Destructive confessions create self-fulfilled prophecies that ultimately become negative ecosystems that imprison our minds and de-rail our destiny" (Kris Vallotton). On the other hand, when you declare the goodness of God, claim that God is working things together for your good (Romans 8:28), and agree with who He says you are, you are calling the work of the cross to manifest in your life. Angels recognize your words as their assignment to make sure God's word is fulfilled. "You’re going to eat your words. They’re either going to nourish your heart or poison your soul" (Kris Vallotton).

Here is another point that God has been trying to teach me for years: I don't have the right to complain. He knows all of the bad things I've been through. It's not my responsibility to make sure everyone else knows. On the contrary:

"Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them" (Ephesians 4:29).

"Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, 'children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.' Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life" (Philippians 2:14-16).

It's not easy to make this change. I know that the habits of complaining and speaking negative words over my life are so ingrained in me that it seems almost impossible to break free. But I also know that if the Son sets me free, I am free indeed (John 8:36). I am called to stand firm, and when I am burdened again by a yoke of slavery, it is because I have allowed it (Galatians 5:1). I know that when I consciously choose to speak the reasons I'm thankful or declare God's promises over my life, it makes all the difference in my outlook on life and how my day unfolds.

"Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).

1 comment: