Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Marriage

I have been married for almost three months, and I feel I have a better understanding of God's purpose in creating marriage.

1) You have a best friend always by your side, to support and encourage you, to make you laugh, to help you make important decisions.

2) You are stuck in a crucible where you are always being tested, your character is constantly being refined, and you are learning day by day what love and humility really mean.

"Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had."
-Philippians 2:3-5

This passage applies to all relationships, but never outside of marriage did I have so much opportunity to practice it. Again and again, I find myself in the position where I can hold onto my pride and insist that I am right. And I often do just that. But I am learning to more often humble myself, look out for my husband's interests and the interests of our relationship, and choose to be in right relationship rather than to be "right".

Learning to live with my husband has been trying, but every trial has brought us closer together and increased the love and appreciation I have for him, as well as taught me some things about myself.

Marriage is a blessing in every way, but not all of these ways are easy.

"The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but the Lord tests the heart."
-Proverbs 17:3

No comments:

Post a Comment