Monday, June 11, 2018

Unemployed

After this week, I am unemployed.

[Long story short, I taught high school Spanish in Southern California this past school year, received a good performance evaluation, was recommended by my principal for continued employment, but because of lack of job security in my district, I have not been re-contracted for next school year.]

I had plans to stay at that school for a long time. It would have helped so much with organization, time management, and finances. I was shocked and frustrated at the decision that was made. So I prayed. And I brought Scripture to mind. These are the verses that came to my memory:

"My God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus."
-Philippians 4:19

" 'So do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink"? or "What shall we wear?" For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.' "
-Matthew 6:31-34

" 'Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,' says the LORD Almighty, 'and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.' "
-Malachi 3:10

What I noticed about all these promises is that they each came as a response to generosity. In Philippians 4, Paul is thanking the church for sending him aid. In Matthew 6, Jesus is telling his disciples to live for God and others rather than themselves. In Malachi 3, the blessing comes after tithing.

Something else that keeps coming to mind is what I've been teaching my students to end the school year. We have been learning about poverty in Honduras, Paraguay, and Guatemala. Some documentaries have really opened my eyes and my students' eyes. You can watch the trailers at these sites:
The Landfillharmonic: http://www.landfillharmonicmovie.com
Living on One Dollar: http://livingonone.org/livingonone

I've been reminded that I am so wealthy compared to most of the rest of the world, and rather than focusing on my first world problems, I am encouraged to live with gratitude for what I have and to give to those who are really in need.

"The Lord will work out his plans for my life - for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever."
~Psalm 138:8

No comments:

Post a Comment